United Way of the Mid-South collects school supplies for students.
The 2022-2023 school year is just around the corner, and United Way of the Mid-South’s annual Stuff the Bus supply drive needs your help ensuring Memphis-Shelby County students are prepared for the upcoming school year.
The 2019 Huntington Backpack Index estimates that elementary school supplies can cost families up to $1,000 per student on average. Due to inflation, school supplies in 2022 are expected to be an even greater financial burden for low-income and middle-income families.
Students with the necessary supplies are more likely to connect with their peers, absorb the curriculum, and feel empowered to let their creativity come to life in the classroom.
Did you know that Memphis’ child poverty rate is among the highest in the nation at 39.6% according to the 2021 University of Memphis Poverty Fact Sheet?
Through your donation to Stuff the Bus, you’re doing more than collecting supplies, you’re giving students the confidence to enter the classroom focused on learning.
Taking advantage of tax-free weekend to purchase school supplies is a great way to maximize your budget and your impact within the community by donating supplies to students in need.
In Mississippi and Tennessee, tax-free weekend begins on Friday, July 29 (ends on July 31 in TN and on July 30 in MS). In Arkansas, tax-free weekend will be on August 6 & 7. More information about tax-free weekend can be found here.
Here’s how YOU can help Mid-South students:
- Host a United Way School Supplies Drive at your workplace or with your friends and family.
- Purchase items from our Amazon list for contact-free delivery to our United Way.
- Collect supplies from the list below and drop them off at United Way Plaza, 1005 Tillman Street, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Make a donation towards the purchase of school supplies by texting UWSCHOOLS to 41444.
- 1″ binders with 3 rings
- Composition Notebooks
- Dry Erase Markers
- Wide & College ruled filler paper
- Folders with pockets
- Glue sticks
- Pens (black, blue & red)
- Sanitary Napkins
- Spiral Notebooks (3 subject or 70 pages)
- Sticky Notes
For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.