United Way of the Mid-South
Where there's a you, there's a way!
Department/Division: Community Impact
Reports to: Director, Community Impact
Employment Status: Non-Exempt
FLSA Status: Hourly Temp Part Time
United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public charitable foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources, across 8-counties, to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies that are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success – education, financial stability, and health – while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team that is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
Seeking seasonal instructors to prepare, facilitate, and train volunteers of the Free Tax Training program in tax law and software application according to the Internal Revenue Service’s standards and certifications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively teaching various courses and training classes while maintaining respect for students with different levels of experience and comprehension.
- Utilizing course materials, including Instructor Guides, Participant Guides, handouts and other teaching aids to deliver course content as designed.
- Presenting and facilitating training classes, using a variety of techniques such as exercises, case studies, skills practice along with question and answer sessions.
- Collecting and reporting attendance and evaluations data in a timely manner.
Qualified candidates will exhibit strong tax preparation, communication, and presentation skills.
- Sufficient experience as a tax professional to master content of all courses being taught. Mastery is demonstrated by answering student questions in a comfortable/confident manner and per all tax law or factual information.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate clearly in English and/or other languages.
- Effective presentation and facilitation skills as demonstrated in their words, voice, pace, delivery and non-verbal communication.
- Instructor should have the ability to teach in an energetic and enthusiastic manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrated through conversation with, and preparation of tax returns of Free Tax Preparation customers.
- Ability to explain complex laws and regulations in an easy to understand manner.
- Ability to understand information and explain course information to students.
- Reliable transportation to training locations in and out of county as scheduled/assigned.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- At least one year of experience with the Free Tax Preparation program.
This position requires the employee to be able to lift 30 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion, and to reach using arms and hands. The position may also require significant walking and capability to climb stairs. The employee will need to have the ability to talk to and hear customers during events. Specific visual abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. There may be additional physical requirements associated with off-site corporate or volunteer events.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
This position requires a valid Driver’s License, car insurance and reliable transportation. The position also requires flexible hours outside of normal business hours and some local travel to meet with partners.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
United Way Core Competencies for ALL Staff
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before the process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org