United Way of the Mid-South
Department/Division: Office of Marketing & Development
Reports to: President & CEO
United Way of the Mid-South is a multi-million-dollar non-profit, public charitable foundation that mobilizes financial and human resources, across 8-counties, to meet critical needs and to help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Mid-Southerners can achieve their highest potential. We support high-performing nonprofit agencies that are on the front lines fighting to decrease poverty in our community by addressing the essential building blocks for success – education, financial stability, and health – while maintaining vital safety net services in food, shelter, and safety for individuals facing crisis situations. By joining United Way of the Mid-South, you are uniting with a team that is moving the needle on poverty and making our community a place where everyone can thrive.
The Chief Marketing and Development Officer will ensure that the uniqueness of the brand of United Way of the Mid-South is recognized and valued. To position our United Way for greater success, the top priority for the individual in this position is to craft and then execute the right marketing strategy to our current and potential donors, stakeholders and constituents; and to couple brand awareness with the successful development of contributed financial resources, volunteer engagement and community advocacy on behalf of the organization. When the impact of our work is acknowledged, people will want to do more – donate more, serve more, and help us spread the word about United Way of the Mid-South (UWMS) more widely.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MARKETING, COMMUNICATIONS AND ENGAGEMENT
- Lead the Marketing, Communications and Engagement staff.
- Lead the work that maintains, expands, and coordinates UWMS’s presence and performance in social media, UWMS’s website, and search engines; including the work of Web creative staff, contractors and volunteers.
- Create and propagate an enthusiastic brand message that will resonate with our target demographic.
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop and implement a high quality, consistent digital marketing and communications strategy in support of key organizational initiatives, positioning, and resource development.
- Develop and implement a strategic year-round marketing plan that supports UWMS’s mission and goals; including collateral materials, marketing materials, meaningful direct mail/solicitations, paid advertising, publicity, social media and online opportunities.
- Establish digital engagement metrics using Web/social network data analytics and tracking systems; to compile online engagement reports, monitor activity and success in online presences, and employ message testing.
- Oversee the planning and execution of special events and stakeholder engagement activities; create talking points as needed for all events when necessary.
- Implement crisis communications activities in collaboration with the Executive Leadership Team, by developing a PR/communications plan and communicating with the media as needed.
- Serve as the Marketing Liaison to external stakeholders; negotiate compensation and project details for external contractors related to marketing and promotions.
- Lead the Resource Development staff who facilitate and execute a year-round strategy to optimize the effectiveness of corporate relationship-building and workplace-based resource development campaigns – UWMS’s primary source of revenue.
- Collaborate with the Executive Leadership Team in creating realistic workplace campaign goals; working with the Board and CEO and providing leadership to ensure that all fundraising goals are met or exceeded.
- Expand and diversify resource development efforts by developing and implementing revenue-generating new business, cross-promotional and sponsorship strategies, and partnerships with other relevant funders.
- Develop and superintend effective approaches to generate and increase resource development from current and prospective high net worth individuals and major donors.
- Direct the reporting, analysis and benchmarking of UWMS’s resource development strategies, implementation and outcomes.
- Execute a community engagement strategy to increase revenue development through non-workplace based, non-traditional digital platforms; including on-line, crowd-sourcing and event-based fundraising.
- Optimize the effectiveness of UWMS’s virtual and face-to-face social networks, and implement an individual engagement strategy that expands UWMS’s ability to attract and retain donors and key partners.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends and technologies, interface with IT and other internal stakeholders to ensure smooth implementations.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders on digital transformation including business process, data, and technology transformations.
- Propose and manage related budget.
- Participate on relevant community task forces and committees.
- Act as spokesperson for the organization.
- Prepare the President & CEO, staff and board for media interviews as needed.
- Perform other duties, as opportunities are presented and/or assigned by the President & CEO.
- Master’s Degree or higher in related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in marketing, public relations, communications and development.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive leadership in cutting-edge digital operation with a variety of integrated capabilities; including digital marketing, website design, content management, and organizational leadership.
- Strong track record and expertise in Web optimization and Web analytics, marketing, communications, Web design, and creating multi-channel user journeys to acquire, activate, and retain supporters.
- Familiarity with Web, mobile, and social media focused on personalized, localized communications as opposed to mass communications.
- Proven experience engaging and growing consumer interest via digital channels.
- Ability to plan and execute long-term strategy around driving and supporting awareness, engagement and monetization.
- Experience with Salesforce.com or similar CRM with multiple functions: fundraising, email communications, data analytics/reporting and advocacy campaign tools strongly preferred.
- Proven effectiveness working in a team environment, facilitating groups, and working with leadership volunteers.
- Ability to build consensus and facilitate collaboration and productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups, organizations, and community.
- Strong organizational, time management, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Exceptional oral/written communications/interpersonal skills to clearly articulate ideas, frame challenges, highlight opportunities, and offer solutions.
- Capacity to navigate complex organizational structures, collaborate to get buy-in across functions, diplomatically challenge the status-quo, and solidify relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Excellence in mentoring and coaching a team.
- Familiarity with United Way, individual philanthropy or fundraising a plus.
Direct supervisory responsibility includes the authority to hire, transfer, suspend, layoff, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward or discipline subordinate employees or effectively recommend such actions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion, and occasionally to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. Physical requirements include climbing stairs and being able to carry, lift, and, set up equipment and furniture weighing up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
United Way of the Mid-South is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This non-discrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, as well as, the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way of the Mid-South will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in undue hardship.
Flexible hours are required as job duties demand. Must have a valid Driver’s License, car insurance, and reliable transportation. Must have personal cell phone to communicate outside of the office.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
TALENT MANAGEMENT & PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT
- Builds and leads a diverse team that enables the organization to succeed; Hires the right people; Demands high performance and results; Ensures people’s work is aligned with mission and strategy.
- Is open to new ideas; Invests time and resources in training, development, and succession for the department; Identifies and grooms high-potentials; Delegates effectively.
- Coaches and mentors employees and teams.
- Receives and provides feedback in a constructive way that builds confidence among staff; Addresses performance problems.
BUSINESS ACUMEN & STRATEGIC DIRECTION
- Demonstrates understanding and knowledge of the United Way network; Understands the business of the organization; and, effectively creates a strategy.
- Understands the community and its business environment.
- Understands general business and financial principles required to effectively lead, manage and align resources for performance; and, is able to read financial statements and create budgets.
- Contributes to the bottom line by helping the organization grow its resources and capacity.
OPERATIONAL PLANNING & EXECUTION
- Establishes effective and efficient processes that align the department priorities with organization goals, strategy and mission.
- Collaborates effectively within the organization.
- Inspires and motivates people to build the culture of United Way as the Mission of Choice.
- Engages volunteers in a way that helps execute the strategy.
- Develops strategic relationships to benefit United Way and the community; and, Knows key players in the community and is diligent in maintaining and expanding the network of partners.
- Seeks to learn from inside and outside the network to build skills, knowledge and abilities to challenge the organization in reaching its potential.
- Is an effective spokesperson for United Way and its work.
- Establishes credibility as a leader on critical issues and solutions affecting the community.
United Way Core Competencies for ALL Staff
- Mission-Focused: Catalyzes others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before the process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
United WayWorldWide Core Competencies
- Accountability/Results Orientation: Is accountable for the work results and performance to budget of an assigned team. Participates in the articulation of and communicates work goals and objectives, as well as expected work results. Assists in identifying work quality standards and training team members and accepts responsibility for the team’s achieved outcomes.
- Decision-Making/Risk-Taking: Evaluates available information and recommends a course of action. Contributes own assessment of risks and implications of decisions in team decision-making efforts. Develops and proposes effective alternative solutions. Creates consensus by involving others in the problem-solving process. Uses judgment appropriately in decision-making. Knows when to shift decision-making upwards.
- Teamwork Collaboration: Shares pertinent information and keeps team members informed on a regular basis. Ensures that processes, systems and resources are available and direct them properly to enable the team to efficiently accomplish its goals and objectives. Able to adapt quickly to changing conditions or performance expectations. Able to focus on assignments during periods of change and/or uncertainty.
- Relationship Management: Embodies and promotes UWW’s values and guiding principles. Promotes a “win-win” philosophy in dealing with others. Serves as a role model in dealing with others to accomplish organization goals and objectives. Works effectively with United Way staff, volunteers and other stakeholders to achieve strategic direction. Able to manage and sustain key relationships to benefit the United Way movement and/or UWW. Formulates and communicates in an ethical and politically sensitive manner.
- Communications: Expresses ideas and concepts in a clear and concise manner. Is persuasive and influences others. Actively listens to others to understand their perspectives. Seeks input and feedback on individual, team and departmental performance and environment. Supports openness.
- Innovation/Creativity: Shares a deep commitment to the UW vision. Develops a “connected” vision for the Group. Has a plan to meet Group vision and contribute to overall success. Promotes a climate that values and rewards innovation and creativity. Acknowledges and champions the efforts of others to “think outside the box”. Maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends that affect United Ways, UWW and/or the non-profit sector. Demonstrates ability to analyze information and translate into specific, effective action/solutions.
Job Salary Range: $135,000 to $160,000
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org