- This event has passed.
Child Tax Credit Day
July 23, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
What is the Child Tax Credit?
Advance Child Tax Credit payments are early payments from the IRS of 50 percent of the estimated amount of the Child Tax Credit that you may properly claim on your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season. If the IRS has processed your 2020 tax return or 2019 tax return, these monthly payments will be made starting in July and continue through December 2021, based on the information contained in that return.
To qualify for advance Child Tax Credit payments, you — and your spouse, if you filed a joint return — must have:
- Filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return and claimed the Child Tax Credit on the return; or
- Given us your information in 2020 to receive the Economic Impact Payment using the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool; and
- A main home in the United States for more than half the year (the 50 states and the District of Columbia) or file a joint return with a spouse who has a main home in the United States for more than half the year; and
- A qualifying child who is under age 18 at the end of 2021 and who has a valid Social Security number;
- Made less than certain income limits.
Who should come?
- Those families who need to file a 2019 and/or 2020 tax return with an income limit of $57,000 or less.
What will happen while you are here?
The customer will sign in and take an intake packet consisting of 4 documents, front, back, and inside, to fill out to completion.
Upon completion, please return all forms to the envelope and enclose:
- Picture ID
- Social Security cards for taxpayer(s) and all dependents to be listed on return
- Wage and Income documents (W-2s and1099s)
- Health insurance 1095 form
Screening – An IRS certified
volunteer will call you to review your documents and intake form with you.
Tax Preparation – Once you verify your information, the IRS certified volunteer will prepare your tax return by keying in your information while you
wait inside your car or the lobby.
Quality Review – After the return is keyed, an IRS certified volunteer will review the return with you to discuss/answer any questions or concerns.
- With your approval of the return, the volunteer will ask you to sign the consent form 8879 to e-file on your behalf and give you a copy of your return.
What is the benefit to the participant?
For many families living in poverty, this will provide an extra source of income that could help cover necessities such as transportation and childcare, and in a post-pandemic economy.
How long will it take?
It could take 30 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the tax return.
What should you bring?
Clients will need to bring the following items to a Free Tax Prep site:
- Photo I.D., if filing joint the spouse’s Photo I.D. is also required
- Social Security cards and birth dates, if filing joint or claiming dependents, the spouse and dependents Social Security cards must be provided as well
- All W-2’s, 1099’s, and information on other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Total paid to daycare and their tax I.D. number
- Health Insurance 1095 form
- Account information for direct deposit
- If married filing joint, both spouses must be present
What if I can’t come on July 23, is there another way for me to participate and get the Child Tax Credit?
If you are eligible to receive advance Child Tax Credit payments based on your 2020 tax return or 2019 tax return (including information you entered into the Non-Filer tool for Economic Impact Payments on IRS.gov in 2020), you generally will receive those payments automatically without needing to take any additional action.
You must take action if you have not filed your 2020 tax return or 2019 tax return. The IRS has unveiled an online Non-Filer tool that will allow individuals who weren’t required to file (and have not filed) a tax return for 2020 to file a simplified tax return. This simplified tax return will allow eligible individuals to register for advance Child Tax Credit payments and the third Economic Impact Payment, as well as claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit.