United Way of the Mid-South
The Communications & Marketing Department has a focus on developing a unique and consistent brand experience for our stakeholders, crafting and executing strategies that enhance visibility, and composing effective messaging to enhance community understanding of United Way of the Mid-South.
The Director of Communications & Marketing reports directly to the Chief Communications & Engagement Officer and provides internal and external communications and marketing support to the other departments within the organization. Develops and implements marketing strategies and activities to achieve objectives of the organizational strategic direction and resource development tactical plan. Directs and coordinates activities to pilot new channels of engagement utilizing research; technology such as the website and other social media; and traditional communications. Works with vendors, including public relations, promotional companies, printers and graphic designers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Brand Management
- Public Relations
- Event Planning
- Market Intelligence
- Digital Strategy
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulate a strategic marketing and communications plan to maintain high visibility and relevance year-round.
- Compose and issue press releases for news, achieving one major media hit per month.
- Assist with all written items to be sent to donors or stakeholders to ensure consistent branding as directed by the CCEO.
- Produce e-news to be sent to United Way of the Mid-South’s mass distribution list.
- Support United Way partners on co-branding opportunities as directed.
- Formulate situational talking points and communications plans for special projects as directed by the CCEO.
- Attend conferences to develop public relations/communications skills.
- Provide and construct documents to ensure that staff and volunteers are equipped with timely and effective talking points.
- Develop meaningful working relationships with media contacts by providing excellent service and responding to requests in a timely manner.
- Oversee the production of all public service announcements and other video or audio media.
- Utilize the UWW Message Platform to formulate effective messages and stories.
- Provide leadership, including design and production, on all collateral projects for United Way of the Mid-South.
- Evaluate, recommend, and monitor brand execution, as required by Partner Agencies by the Partner Agreement.
Corporate and Community Engagement:
- Direct and implement United Way of the Mid-South’s marketing strategy and adhere to United Way of the Mid-South’s branding standards.
Markets and implements plans consistent with the organization’s goals, which provide continuity and consistency between the various interrelated functions of United Way of the Mid-South.
Create and distribute media alerts related to programs and events, as needed.
- Identify key market segments and opportunities to tailor messages.
- Provide real-time feedback to the CCEO on all considerations regarding United Way of the Mid-South branding or messaging.
- Take measures to understand customer perceptions of United Way of the Mid-South and utilize this information on planning marketing and communications strategies.
- Work with CCEO to ensure that adequate data is being captured to know our constituents’ needs as donors to United Way of the Mid-South.
- Development and implementation of a year-round communication/marketing plan for UWMS that utilizes key messages and effective marketing strategies.
- Management of external communication through web, electronic, print and social media platforms.
- Responsible for writing, editing, messaging and consistency in materials.
- Research and develop innovative and effective plans around digital strategy to target multi-channel marketing programs which successfully build profitable, long-term relationships.
- Execute social media strategies across platforms, including: creating engaging content, posting, keeping profiles up-to-date, monitoring pages, and tracking and analyzing metrics.
- Stay current on the latest technologies and identify new opportunities.
- Develop and update content on United Way’s website and troubleshoot issues as needed.
- Create and/or edit content and distribute e-blasts (e-newsletters, evites, etc.) using applicable software.
- Position www.uwmidsouth.org to be a premier source for information about United Way of the Mid-South.
- Position UWMS to be a premier source of information on all social media outlets.
- Leverage social media and online engagement opportunities.
- Coordinate the design and production of all collateral/literature to be used to promote United Way of the Mid-South.
- BS/BA Degree in related field of study or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience of communications/public relations/marketing experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to adapt writing style to the medium used.
- Knowledge and skill in desktop publishing.
- Ability to perform on a targeted timeline.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others for results.
- Ability to function independently within established guidelines.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience with large-scale event planning and execution.
- Experience managing a marketing campaign.
- Ability to create concepts for materials and communications.
- Ability to juggle several high priority projects simultaneously.
- Extremely detail oriented and possess the ability to work efficiently and effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusion.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three references (with phone numbers) to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line of your message. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org