At United Way we’re always happy when volunteers roll up their sleeves and get involved. On Wednesday, May 22, volunteers will be rolling up sleeves to take save lives as part of our blood donation drive.
United Way of the Mid-South is hosting a blood drive in partnership with the American Red Cross on Wednesday, May 22nd from noon until 5:00 p.m. at our offices at 6775 Lenox Center Court in Memphis, TN.
To participate, you must register online. Click here and to sign up at the American Red Cross web page dedicated to the blood drive at United Way on May 22.
There is a serious need for additional donated blood in our community. Your donation can help save a life!
Did you know:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 44,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
(These facts and additional information can be found on the American Red Cross website at http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-facts-and-statistics )
The American Red Cross is a part of the United Way network of care which impacts education, financial stability and health across the region.
To see a map to the United Way offices, click here.